Alfred Savill (1829 - 1905) set up business at 27 Rood Lane, EC3, in 1855 as 'Savill and Son'.
Founded in the UK in 1855, Savills is one of the world’s leading property agents. For over 160 years, we’ve offered outstanding property, specialist services and expert advice to clients, helping them with their property decisions and ambitions.
The business moved to 3 St Helen's Place, which belonged to the Worshipful Company of Leathersellers' estates (was a subtenant). Alfred was already retained as professional adviser to a number of Essex lordships.
At the time of Alfred's death in 1905, his sons Alfred, Edwin and (Henry) Norman, were already firmly established in partnership although located in the City, its practice remained largely agricultural.
Within weeks of war breaking out, Edwin Savill was appointed by the War Office to assess compensation to landowners in Essex and Suffolk for loss of or damage to properties. When the War Losses Commission called in two valuers to assist them, one was Edwin Savill.
The firm moved to 51a Lincoln's Inn Fields. Their new office was near enough to the City to enable them to maintain their existing contracts, and had the advantage of being among the trustee solicitors who were bringing them new business.
The firm dispersed: junior staff were called up to serve, Norman Savill – along with vital records – went to Wimborne in Dorset. The firm’s architects worked from the Woking office. Norman Savill aside, the Partners stayed at the Lincoln’s Inn Field office.
The firm merged with Rees-Reynold and Hunt, rating surveyors and specialist advisors on commercial property investment. This was in line with Alfred’s strategy of expanding into new service lines.
63 Lincoln's Inn Fields became the headquarters. In tune with the times, a raft of new young partners were admitted.
The firm is re-branded as Savills. 58 partners operate from head office and 15 country offices in England and Wales.
Savills becomes a limited company in 1988 and obtains a full listing on the London Stock Exchange, and became Savills plc in 1988.
Savills consolidated its growing presence in Asia by joining forces with First Pacific Davies Limited to become FPD Savills in 1997. Savills acquired a majority shareholding in the Spanish, German and French companies previously trading as Weatherall Green & Smith.
As Savills plc, the company moved into the FTSE 250 London Stock Exchange listing in 2000, Savills also acquired First Pacific Davies Limited in April of that year. Acquired a 50% stake in Korean Asset Advisors and BHP Korea in 2000. Hamilton Osborne King is acquired in Ireland. Hepher Dixon, a specialist planning and regeneration practice. Jeremy Helsby was appointed as Group Chief Executive of Savills plc on 7 May 2008.
Our investment management subsidiary, Savills Investment Management (Cordea Savills), expanded with the acquisition of IPAM GmbH in Germany. Strengthened teams in London with the acquisitions of Gresham Down (investment advisory), the London Planning Practice (planning) and Thomas Davidson (retail), and property management teams in Singapore and Sweden. Moved into our new headquarters in London.
Savills expands its US presence with the acquisition of tenant representation specialist Studley Inc, with a network of 25 offices across the US, and expands its presence in Asia by opening offices in Myanmar and Indonesia.
Get in touch
Find a person or office to assist you. Whether you're a private individual or a property professional we've got someone who can help.